The new "Xbox One" Reveal

Past, present, and future games that we play.

Moderators: Kethron, Verdigris

The new "Xbox One" Reveal

Postby Kethron » Tue May 21, 2013 1:01 pm

Wired got an an exclusive first reveal article for the new Xbox One, slated to arrive later this year. I won't lie - it's hot.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/
Kethron

Re: The new "Xbox One" Reveal

Postby Verdigris » Wed May 22, 2013 8:03 am

Oh, it's definitely hot. But the always on connection to the Internet requirement that's been rumored is a show stopper for me. We'll see if those rumors play out and what the PlayStation has to offer.
Verdigris

Postby RemyCC » Wed May 22, 2013 8:37 am

I don't know guys, my first reaction was: "Wow, that's really cool! It can almost do half the things my PC can do!"
Battle.net ID: RemyCC#1202
RemyCC

Postby Kethron » Wed May 22, 2013 9:07 am

Verdigris wrote:Oh, it's definitely hot. But the always on connection to the Internet requirement that's been rumored is a show stopper for me. We'll see if those rumors play out and what the PlayStation has to offer.

It's not a requirement. It doesn't always have to always be connected, but it does require an internet connection. The internet connection is required when first installing and registering games to your account, but not to actually play the game. At leat that's how I understood it. They're doing things with "the cloud" more, so obviously that requires an internet connection.

Be honest, though - how often are you playing your 360 while NOT connected to the internet? The last time I was in that situation was 2008, after Hurricane Ike. It was nice to be able to play games, but I could have easily found something else to distract myself with. Every other time I've played my 360 in the past 5 years, and every time before that, I was connected to Xbox Live.
Kethron

Postby Kethron » Wed May 22, 2013 10:02 am

Where Microsoft is still crapping the bed is with indie game development. They will STILL require indie developers to be signed with a "major" publisher before they can put games up on Live for sale. Sony is supposedly doing the opposite where indie developers are concerned, which makes them a more attractive option for said developers.
Kethron

Postby Kethron » Wed May 22, 2013 12:24 pm

Further clarification on the internet connection question. Again, for me, it's not a big issue - I'm almost always connected to the internet. Microsoft needs to make their position a little more clear, though.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

"There are many devices in your life that require the Internet to function," he said. "Xbox One is no different in that it requires, at some point in the beginning and at various times through its on state, to connect to our cloud and to our Internet. That is to deliver Xbox Live functionality, that is to deliver download content to you, that is to deliver some of the innovations around TV and entertainment that we showed today. But it doesn’t require it to be online all the time."

So the system is built to work even if your Internet connection goes down, but you still have to be connected at least once a day to use it, according to Harrison. We're not sure exactly what would happen if you don't connect once per day—and that timeframe could change—but this doesn't sound good for anyone who was hoping to use Xbox One without an Internet connection.
Kethron

Postby BurningNebula » Thu May 23, 2013 11:11 am

I am just a bit seduced by the Xbox One, but hopefully it'll say backwards comp with the 360. I'm sure they'll have more info at E3.

Also that sucks about their agreements.
Neverwinter
~Celdia Lhunaris~Trickster Rogue
BurningNebula

Postby Kethron » Thu May 23, 2013 11:36 am

BurningNebula wrote:I am just a bit seduced by the Xbox One, but hopefully it'll say backwards comp with the 360. I'm sure they'll have more info at E3.

It's not going to be backwards compatable - Microsoft has already confirmed that. That doesn't bother me too much, as in reality I only played one or two backwards compatable Xbox titles on the 360.

Also that sucks about their agreements.

That's the biggest "suckage" in my book. You discourage indie developers from making games on your platform by requiring them to sign up with a big name publisher. Sony will allow for indie devs to "self publish" their games.
Kethron

Postby BurningNebula » Thu May 23, 2013 9:27 pm

Kethron wrote:
BurningNebula wrote:I am just a bit seduced by the Xbox One, but hopefully it'll say backwards comp with the 360. I'm sure they'll have more info at E3.

It's not going to be backwards compatable - Microsoft has already confirmed that. That doesn't bother me too much, as in reality I only played one or two backwards compatable Xbox titles on the 360.

So we're not going to be able to play the 360 games on the One, or meaning the original xbox games? If it's the original games then I don't mind, but if it's a no go to the 360 games, then NOOOOOOoooooo!
Neverwinter
~Celdia Lhunaris~Trickster Rogue
BurningNebula

Postby Kethron » Fri May 24, 2013 8:35 am

BurningNebula wrote:
Kethron wrote:

So we're not going to be able to play the 360 games on the One, or meaning the original xbox games? If it's the original games then I don't mind, but if it's a no go to the 360 games, then NOOOOOOoooooo!

You can only play Xbox One games on the Xbox One. It's not backwards compatable with anything. I understand that, to an extent. The processor and graphics processor architechture have changed each generation. On the 360, Microsoft essentially created a software emulator in order to run original Xbox games. It was a time consuming process and not really worth it, from a business standpoint. They would need to do something similar with making 360 games run on the Xbox One (hereafter referred to as the XB1), but I imagine it would be even more difficult, given how the XB1 authenticates games.
Kethron

Next

Return to Games We Play