Age of Wushu

Past, present, and future games that we play.

Moderators: Kethron, Verdigris

Age of Wushu

Postby Kethron » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:37 am

http://www.ageofwushu.com

Age of Wushu is a recently released, free to play "sandbox" MMO that "recreates an ancient Chinese world of kung fu." I'll admit, the first time I tried it in open beta, I was a bit "lukewarm" to it. However, after having put some hours into the release version, I'm loving it! It's got a considerable learning curve, but there's a very good game available for those that are patient.

You start off with a normal shifu or master, and he teaches you basic kung fu principals and techniques. After you've mastered what he can teach you, you have have to choose between one of 8 kung fu schools. Each of the schools has a different life philosophy, set of techniques, and bonuses for joining.

You can earn experience and "cultivate" skills while offline.

Your character assumes various "jobs" while you're offline to gain experience - those jobs depend on the area in which you log off. For example, logging off in Chengdu city means that my character might become an NPC that serves tea. VIP members can have their characters open shopping stalls and set up inventory to sell to other players.

The game is open world PvP, but has a law system in place to discourage wanton killing of other players. As part of the PvP experience, you can actually spy on other schools for experience, but stand a chance of being uncovered.

Also, apparently you can kidnap offline characters. I'm not totally sure how that works.

Anyway, it's a very interesting game, with the only drawback being the gold sellers that you have to occasionally add to your "blacklist."
Kethron

Re: Age of Wushu

Postby RemyCC » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:57 am

Sounds interesting, might check it out. What server are you on?
Battle.net ID: RemyCC#1202
RemyCC

Postby Kethron » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:41 am

RemyCC wrote:Sounds interesting, might check it out. What server are you on?

I'm on Red Phoenix right now. My character is Ryaul, and he joined the Wudang school of kung fu. There's only 1 character per server, so I might create a "bad guy" to join one of the "bad" schools on another server. For now, I'm content to be a good guy. Wudang is definitely one of the "good" schools.
Kethron

Postby Kethron » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:08 am

So many complexities to this game - a great deal to dig into.

Apparently, repeated criminal activity can cause a bounty to be put on your head. Once you're caught, you actually go to jail. For real. Your character gets stuck in jail for an amount of time, which I'm guessing is determined by the seriousness/amount of crimes you committed. The server also knows WHEN you get released, as a message displays that says, "JoeBlow has been released from jail." It seems that it would definitely suck to make enemies in this game. :lol:

I created my "bad guy" on Black Tortoise, for the sole purpose of seeing what happens when you become a criminal.
Kethron

Postby Kethron » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:24 pm

I saw this in game, but wasn't sure what it was. In order to increase skills, you "cultivate" them internally or through martial arts practice. However, there's another way to "grow" your character through the Meridian System. Just another testament to how multi-faceted this game is:

The Meridian System is another method of cultivation and growing in this game, that is linked with the already existing internal skill system. It is based upon Ancient Chinese beliefs of the flowing of Chi through the body, which is directly related to modern day acupuncture. Accessing and cultivating these meridian channels allow the player to boost character's abilities even more than Internal and Combat skills' cultivation. Activating and mastering more meridians can not only boost abilities, but also change the way players set up skills altogether.
Kethron

Return to Games We Play