DayZ (Standalone) & Rust

Past, present, and future games that we play.

Moderators: Kethron, Verdigris

DayZ (Standalone) & Rust

Postby Kethron » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:34 am

If anyone plays, or decides to play either of these online "survival" games, let me know - I already play both of them quite a bit. Both games are in true alpha test states, meaning they're not close to fully developed and prone to bugginess, but they're already quite good. You can find them on Steam (they're "Early Access" games) for $30 and $20, respectively.

FYI - I'll probably be streaming both of these games on Twitch.tv in the near future. When I do, I'll post my Twitch profile here so, at the very least, you can check out the uploaded broadcast and see what the games are like.
Kethron

Re: DayZ (Standalone) & Rust

Postby Bliz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:57 pm

been watching both these titles with interest. Would love to hear your thoughts on them, especially as they get more polished and near release.
Notable characters

EQ - Josia Dragonblood, Bliz Kreeg, Luse Malache - Horizons - Gnart
DAoC - Chenesil, Aria, Cieasan - WoW - Ivee, Kildaria
CoH - 3.14159 - EQ2 - Zthil
TSW - Kildaire - Defiance - Josiah Dragonblood
Bliz

Postby Kethron » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:26 pm

Both games can be quite "unforgiving", but that's part of the allure. There's always the possibility that you'll work for several hours to "gear up" only to have someone killl you and take it all.

In Rust, you can play on Official, Community, or Modded servers. Community/Modded servers are the private, player run servers, and those can be modded to be PvE, no housing decay, no raiding, etc., based on the administrator(s).

Official has one or two PvE servers as well, but raiding is allowed, and since you can't kill other players, there's no way to stop them.
Kethron

Postby Verdigris » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:24 am

I hadn't heard anyting about Rust until just now. For DayZ, I played it a bit when it was stil an Arma mod. Absolutely brutal game. I can see the appeal, but it is definitely a place where the rich get richer and the stupid get dead.
Verdigris

Postby Kethron » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:05 am

You can see a few clips of me playing Rust here (past broadcasts): http://www.twitch.tv/officeape/profile/pastBroadcasts

I plan on doing some of DayZ Standalone next. I'm currently geared pretty well. Your character in DayZ is persistent across all servers, while your character in Rust is only persistent for each individual server.
Kethron

Return to Games We Play