Star Trek Online

Past, present, and future games that we play.

Moderators: Kethron, Verdigris

Star Trek Online

Postby Kethron » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:27 am

Star Trek Online (STO) is a game I actually bought when it was first released, and then I didn't play it much, because it just didn't seem very fleshed-out and polished. I gave it another look last year and still wasn't terribly impressed. It was better, but it didn't grab me. Prompted by some things I'd recently heard, I decided to load it up once more last night.

Is this the same game?

I mean, in general, yes, but not only is the game now more fleshed-out and polished, its added quite a few bells and whistles. The main area that this is present, at least to me, is in terms of presentation and production. The tutorial is MUCH improved, starting you out at Starfleet Academy (on the ground), and working you in to space. I spent about 2 hours on a new character, and I still haven't finished the tutorial missions.

The game seems to have been improved graphically as well. Not a "night and day" difference, but a noticable upgrade.

It honestly FEELS like a completely different, "complete" game. I'm still heavily invested in Rift (got one character to level 30, yay), but I'll be playing STO more to mix things up. If you ever played STO in the past and thought "meh" like I did, then I suggest perhaps giving it one more shake.
Kethron

Re: Star Trek Online

Postby Kethron » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:28 am

Hey Val - did I see you log in to STO yesterday evening? If so, I'm mainly playing a Romulan named Vojen. The cool thing about the Romulans is that at the end of their beginning story arc, you can choose to ally with the Federation or the Klingons. I chose to ally with the Federation, so now I can visit all Federation locations, etc. 8-)
Kethron

Return to Games We Play