Neverwinter Online

Past, present, and future games that we play.

Moderators: Kethron, Verdigris

Neverwinter Online

Postby RemyCC » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:41 am

I'm surprised that with all the D&D nerds around here (myself included) we haven't talked about this:

http://nw.perfectworld.com
Battle.net ID: RemyCC#1202
RemyCC

Re: Neverwinter Online

Postby Kethron » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:58 am

I've actually been reading some previews. There seems to be some good and some not-so-good aspects to it. I don't like the fact that the class choice, at launch, is VERY limited, considering what could be available. There's enough good to it that it's something I want to maybe play (eventually), but I'm going to wait and see how they choose to flesh it out.
Kethron

Postby RemyCC » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:19 am

The problem, as far as I see it, is that any game that carries the D&D logo is going to be expected to replicate the feel of the tabletop experience and nothing I've seen since Baldur's Gate has come close.

If they're going to make a 'D&D Game' I'd like to see something that let's me log in, create a half-elf ranger with non-optimal stats, and have a good ole fashion D&D adventure with my friends. Otherwise it's just another MMO set in Forgotten Realms and if that's the case I'd rather just play ESO.
RemyCC

Postby Kethron » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:23 am

RemyCC wrote:The problem, as far as I see it, is that any game that carries the D&D logo is going to be expected to replicate the feel of the tabletop experience and nothing I've seen since Baldur's Gate has come close.

If they're going to make a 'D&D Game' I'd like to see something that let's me log in, create a half-elf ranger with non-optimal stats, and have a good ole fashion D&D adventure with my friends. Otherwise it's just another MMO set in Forgotten Realms and if that's the case I'd rather just play ESO.

I LOVE the Forge, wherein you can build your own adventures/quests. That's awesome. But to be restricted to only 5 classes at launch? Meh. I have a feeling that the other classes will eventually be released, but at a cost - they'll be "item store" purchases, since Neverwinter is using a F2P financial model.
Kethron

Postby Kethron » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:53 am

Looks like we'll have a chance to decide for ourselves, as Neverwinter starts an open beta on April 30th:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/04/neverwinter-open-beta-starts-april-30/
Kethron

Postby Verdigris » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:32 am

I haven't been reading on this. Is there going to be a way that we can host our own adventures? Or is this "Just another MMO"? If we can host our own...Hell, I might try to migrate my RM campaign to this platform.
Verdigris

Postby Kethron » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:59 am

Verdigris wrote:I haven't been reading on this. Is there going to be a way that we can host our own adventures? Or is this "Just another MMO"? If we can host our own...Hell, I might try to migrate my RM campaign to this platform.

Perhaps not "host", but "create" your own adventures, yes. It will be "just another MMO" in the sense that there's going to be ready made content for the game proper, but using The Foundry, players can create their own stuff that can be shared with everyone. Below is a quote, and here's a link to the page it's from: http://nw.perfectworld.com/about/foundry

You've played tabletop campaigns, sketched out dungeons and imagined ancient ruins, wishing all the while that you could make them come to life. Now, you can. The Foundry for Neverwinter lets you build and share the adventures you've always wanted to see.

The Foundry gives you the tools to build dungeons, castles, cities, foreboding woods and everything in-between. Build NPCs the way you see them in your mind's eye and populate your world with tavern keepers and soldiers, Queens and scullions. Lay the groundwork for an epic adventure that takes players into the depths of the earth in search of dwarven treasure, or pits them against near impossible odds to save the city of Neverwinter.

Easy to use, The Foundry also features a dynamic rating system that allows players to rate and highlight the best player-designed adventures.

NOTE: The Foundry is currently in development and due to the nature of games development, information and content found on this website may not be representative of the current gameplay experience.
Kethron

Postby Kethron » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:06 am

Verdigris wrote:I haven't been reading on this. Is there going to be a way that we can host our own adventures? Or is this "Just another MMO"? If we can host our own...Hell, I might try to migrate my RM campaign to this platform.

On migrating your RM campaign - I think that would be doable, but it would have to take on a significantly more D&D flavor, I think.
Kethron

Postby RemyCC » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:11 am

Kethron wrote:

Perhaps not "host", but "create" your own adventures, yes. It will be "just another MMO" in the sense that there's going to be ready made content for the game proper, but using The Foundry, players can create their own stuff that can be shared with everyone. Below is a quote, and here's a link to the page it's from: http://nw.perfectworld.com/about/foundry

You've played tabletop campaigns, sketched out dungeons and imagined ancient ruins, wishing all the while that you could make them come to life. Now, you can. The Foundry for Neverwinter lets you build and share the adventures you've always wanted to see.

The Foundry gives you the tools to build dungeons, castles, cities, foreboding woods and everything in-between. Build NPCs the way you see them in your mind's eye and populate your world with tavern keepers and soldiers, Queens and scullions. Lay the groundwork for an epic adventure that takes players into the depths of the earth in search of dwarven treasure, or pits them against near impossible odds to save the city of Neverwinter.

Easy to use, The Foundry also features a dynamic rating system that allows players to rate and highlight the best player-designed adventures.

NOTE: The Foundry is currently in development and due to the nature of games development, information and content found on this website may not be representative of the current gameplay experience.

If this is the case then it's on like Donkey Kong. Did you know that the creator of DK named the ape 'Donkey' because he thought it was English for stupid?
RemyCC

Postby Kethron » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:00 am

RemyCC wrote:If this is the case then it's on like Donkey Kong. Did you know that the creator of DK named the ape 'Donkey' because he thought it was English for stupid?

I did not know that. Crazy! :lol:
Kethron

Next

Return to Games We Play